Wanting a Dream Come True…

If you didn’t know me well, you wouldn’t know how nervous I’m bound to be this week. But I am. It was inevitable, with Dark Legacy’s Release and my Lincoln Center B&N Book Signing in NYC  both happening tomorrow, August 25th.

So why resist? I’m trying very hard to let the stress and anticipation flow through me and work themselves out. Often, it’s the nerves that make the important moments more special. I learned that early. I cut my teeth on competitivesports at age six, and from the very first soccer match realized eating breakfast before a big game was both a waste of time and messy, if you know what I mean, and I think you do ;o) But I also learned that nerves helped me focus. They helped me stay in the moment and grab every last sensation before the excitement slipped away. That was, unless I let fear paralyze me to the point that I couldn’t perform.

Why nervous now? I’ve been a professional writer for fifteen years, if you throw my corporate technical writing into the mix. And Dark Legacy is my thirteenth novel coming to shelves. I blog and teach about writing craft and the industry and am working on having my own column that will discuss both topics at a popular website come October (more on that after I stop sweating my newest release). No newbie nerves for someone like me, right?

Right!

Honestly, there’s a part of me that wants to crawl back into bed and cuddle under the covers until tomorrow’s gone. But that would mean missing all the good stuff, as well as the fear, right? Best to try to understand what’s going on, and then to get into the game…

Maybe my subconscious recognized early what my conscious mind hasn’t yet embraced.That this is a turning point in my commercial fiction career. The step I always knew I’d take, if I could just work up the nerve to dream big AND take the leap.  ALERT–another sports metaphor coming, this time from my years as a gymnast: worrying about taking the leap is always more dangerous than the jump itself, because loosing your nerve does terrible things to your balance and commitment to a difficult move.

Maybe wanting something that at one time in my life seemed so out of reach, was in itself a huge leap. Big enough where letting myself want the impossible seemed like an end result, rather than the beginning of a lifelong journey. Maybe I’m more surprised than anyone that this moment’s finally here… Hence the dedication I sent my editor for Dark Legacy:

To Andrew and Jimmy DeStefano
Wanting a “dream come true”
is the frailest of hope.
Your love taught me how to believe.

I’ve always been a dreamer, and I’ve always believed in a dream’s power to change a waking life. But maybe I never thought achieving this dream would feel this real. This good. I guess I never  focused too much on taking this leap, because then never getting to this point would have been unbearable. Then suddenly I blinked my eyes (after five years of non-stop publishing work), and the moment is here. Could it really be this easy? All I have to do is believe…

Thank you, to everyone of you, for your cheers and support and encouragement. You’ve gotten me to this moment, and I don’t really know what to say. Except I’ll embrace tomorrow’s leap and the nerves and the wonderment of this new beginning. And I’ll try very hard to make all of you proud ;o)

I hope to see my NYC friends tomorrow at the B&N. I hope to hear from those of you who find Dark Legacy in your local store and read my latest adventure. And I hope to come back from my trip ready to settle into writing Secret Legacy, so I can leap to even newer, scarrier heights next year ;o)

I guess all I need to remenber now, is what I’ve always tried to show in my blogposts and in every book:

I hope…

Tags:

46 Responses to “Wanting a Dream Come True…”

1. Fannie Wiggins says:

You will be fine tomorrow. You are too professional not to be. I am so excited for you. Another dream fulfilled with this new series. I am sure your family is so proud of you. BTW, congrats on the Barnes & Noble gig. That is huge. Take care, take a big breath, put on you big beautiful smile and go WOW those Yankees. Hugs and good thoughts coming to you.

2. catslady says:

What Fannie just said so well!! Being nervous just means you care. And have I mentioned how much I love your cover :)

3. etirv says:

Everything will be fine and one of these days, you’ll be signing at our B & N in Honolulu!

4. Jane says:

How fun. Congrats on the new release. Have a great time at the signing.

5. Linda Henderson says:

Hope you have a great day. I’m looking forward to reading this book.

Linda Henderson

6. Nathalie says:

Stress can be a positive thing and is a huge motivator!

Good luck for tomorrow… I am sure it will be huge fun, it must be when you meet up with your readers in NYC!

7. Patricia Barraclough says:

Good luck tomorrow. I’m sure everything will be great.
    It is hard not to be worried when something means so much to you.
    If I were in NYC, I’d be there.
    This book is going to be a big success.

8. Pat Cochran says:

Best Wishes for a great day tomorrow! We all know everything
    is going to go very well for you! Look out NYC, here come
    Anna and Dark Legacy!

Pat Cochran

9. Sabrina says:

Congrats on the release and you’ll be great at the signing!

I just started Dark Legacy and love the opening!

10. Mary says:

Congratulations on seeing your dream come true, Anna! Best of luck.

I blogged recently about an interesting article in The Economist about how low moods/mild depression might be our way of helping us avoid striving for unattainable goals. I think your post shows how valuable it is to strive for those goals if they’re important enough because maybe they aren’t really so unattainable!

11. Lynn Kitchene says:

Looks like a really great book. It’ll definitely be on my “read” list.

12. Naghma says:

congratulations on the new release!

13. CrystalGB says:

Congratulations Anna on the release of Dark Legacy. Wishing you the best on your booksigning today. You will do great. :)

14. Anna!

This story sounds awesome! Dive in and go for it! And have a blast!

Hugs!

15. Liz Kreger says:

Dark Legacy sounds like a winner, Anna. Congratulations.

I looove finding a new UF series and will have to check this out. Good luck with your book signing.

16. Audra Holtwick says:

Congrats!!!! Have a wonderful day with your book signing – as stress free as you can get it.

17. Deidre says:

Oh Anna, there’s nothing wrong with having dreams, for where would we be without them? I also understand though that few dreams do come true and are sometimes extremely altered from the original when they do. Still, we do need them.

Congrats on the release of Dark Legacy and well wishes for many more.

Deidre
    deidre_durance at hotmail dot com

18. Pat Cochran says:

Hope someone is getting photographs of the booksigning at
    Lincoln Center’s Barnes & Noble. Would really like to see
    the activity around you on this special day! Congratulations
    to you, Anna!

Pat Cochran

19. Anna,

You will be great tonight as you always are. I wish you luck with the launch and the new series. You deserve it. Your book is great.
    We will all be there with you in New York, if only in spirit and yes, we’d like to see pictures.

Marilyn Baron
    Petit Fours and Hot Tamales blog

20. Kimberly says:

Oh, sweet Anna!
    You are going to knock them dead at your signing! The people are there because they are such huge fans of your work.
    Stress is a terrific motivator, but, to me, it shows how much you care about what you put out for the public to read.
    Such a wonderful dedication! Love makes it possible for us to dream the impossible dreams!
    I’ll also echo what the others have written… Gorgeous cover! I cannot wait to read Dark Legacy!

21. Karin C says:

Best of Everything and Congrats on your new release. I look forward to reading it. Don’t be nervous, be confidant!

22. Cathy Cook says:

A HUGE congratulations on seeing your dream come true…I can only imagine that feeling…what an awesome feeling it must be! I will actually be at Barnes & Noble tomorrow in the big city of Savannah, GA, lol… to pick up Dark Legacy… oh how I wish I was at the NY store to see you !! You’ll have a great signing and it will be a blast. Congratulations again Anna : )

23. Minna says:

Congrats on the new release!

24. anne says:

Congratulations on your new release, Anna. What a wonderful day for your to celebrate. A dream true. Enjoy.

25. Pat L. says:

Congrats on your release. Good luck. Everything will go well.
    Excerpt sounds wonderful.

26. Theresa Elliott says:

Congrats on the new release! I hope there are so many people at your book signing that you forget how nervous you were about it today!

27. Shari C says:

Congratulations and I am sure you will have a great day. Can’t wait to read “Dark Legacy’.

28. Jane says:

Happy Release Day, Anna.

29. Stacy S says:

Congrats on the release!! Will be looking for it this week.

30. Kelli Jo Calvert says:

Being nervous just means you are realy into whatever you are nervous about – the first day of school, participating in a sporting event, or a new release of a book! Congrats! It looks like a great read!

31. Carol M says:

I’m sure you will be great at the signing! Have fun and enjoy it all!

32. Sandra M says:

Congrats on your release day Anna. The book looks wonderful and I’ll have to run out and purchase a copy this weekend. Enjoy all the excitement. You deserve it!

33. Jane Squires says:

Congratulations on your release day. Everyone needs to dream. I hope yours continue to be fulfilled. I am 59 and some of my dreams were not fulfilled due to raising kids and a husband who did not support one of them.
    I’m thinking now may be the time to reopen that dream though now that the kids are gone from home. I always wanted to be a Foster Parent. I did work with foster children as a state licensed babysitter.

34. AnnaRose says:

Congrats, congrats! Nerves can make you sick to your stomach, but what you said is strange but true, it can really help you to focus. I know when I’m nervous my mind is sharper. (And then afterward I reward myself with a special treat – dark chocolate usually does the trick!)

35. PhyllisC says:

Congratulations! I’m sure you will be great. Take a few deep breaths, relax and enjoy yourself. It’s great to have dreams, it’s what gets us through the rough spots.

36. DESIREE REILLY says:

wow me i like to quit having to have surgery done
    but my dream is bein in big house with alot of animal

37. Sue Rosenbalm says:

I am so excited for you. You really need to enjoy NYC relax and know that you have accomplished your goal! I will pick up your book, sounds like a great read. I’m hooked on Terri Garey, Jeaniene Frost, and many others….I will definitely buy yours and give it a try…. I so love a good read that takes me “away from our reality”….. Good Luck to you! Have a great time at your 1st book signing….very exciting!

Take care,
    Sue Rosenbalm
    aka witchysue4u

38. Fannie Wiggins says:

I just have to say, I want that bag!!! It is so me. Hope the signing went well. I know it did. I thought the dedication was so wonderful. Where would we be without our families? I would be lost without mine.To never hear little voices saying “I love yoy Memaw” would break my heart. Cherish them always. Hugs to all.

39. stacey smith says:

congrats on the new Release don’t let your nerves get to you your book is going to do great .its going to be a hit.
    sasluvbooks@yahoo.com

40. Patricia Barraclough says:

CONGRATULATIONS on the release of DARK LEGACY! I am sure you will do very well.

41. Juanita Stender says:

Best of luck with the book signing! I seem to do better under stress or pressure – much more organized. All will go well – they will come to meet you and get a copy of your wonderful book – have faith. I would love to win this great bag – Butterflies are my talisman! So go and soar you lovely butterfly!

42. RobynL says:

A HUGE congratulations on seeing your dream come true Anna. Nerves are fine as long as they don’t overtake your body. What a joyous day for you, my friend.

I, too, love the butterfly purse; it is awesome. Breathe deep.

43. Donna S says:

Congrats on the new release!

44. Mary Preston says:

The new release sounds fabulous. Brava!! Dreams do come true. The hard work helps of course.

45. Laurie G says:

Best wishes with your Dark Legacy series!

46. Rosie G. says:

Sure your NYC gig went well.

Good luck onyour new book.